Which wood is best for me?
- Pine is our most common firewood order. It is a soft wood, which means it is easy to burn and has a short drying time. Pine is easy to source and is generally the cheapest firewood available.
- Gum makes extremely good firewood as the wood is so dense, it has a prolonged burning time and high heat out-put. However, Gum has high water content and therefore needs a longer drying season.
- Wattle has burning properties similar to gum, except it has a slightly lower wood density. It burns relatively slow but very hot.
- Macrocarpa is a low to medium density wood. It has a tendency to burn hot for a good amount of time.
- Old man pine is older pine than standard plantation pine. The older the tree, the better the burning properties, especially in trees over 50 years old (termed ‘old man pine’).
- We also offer a mix of soft and hard woods, giving you the best of both worlds.